Shrimp, Orange and Avocado Quinoa Salad
For the quinoa:
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
For the shrimp:
- 2 large (or 3 small) navel oranges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the salad:
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 small avocados, or 1 large, thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, segment oranges by cutting away outside peel and membranes, then working around the orange, separating the segments from the membranes. Set orange segments aside. Squeeze juice from orange membranes into a large bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Stir in peeled shrimp.
- In another large bowl, combine oranges, lime juice, remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, onions, mint, parsley, cilantro and avocado. Gently stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a grill, grill pan, or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with oil spray and cook shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add shrimp and quinoa to orange mixture. Gently stir to combine and serve.
- If you will be waiting to serve, refrigerate and add the avocados just before serving.