Thai Green Salad with Shrimp and Spicy Almond Dressing
PREP TIME: 25 minsTOTAL TIME: 25 mins
- 1 recipe for Spicy Almonds
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted natural almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Salad
- 1 pound wild shrimp, tails removed, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup cucumber, julienned
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup dressing
- 1/2 cup spicy almonds
- To make the spicy almonds: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl, then spread the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Bake for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through. Cool completely, then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Place all of the ingredients in a blender except for the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Whisk in the olive oil by hand. Add one tablespoon of water if needed, to help keep the dressing liquid when refrigerated.
- To assemble the salads: Toss the shrimp in the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat and cook the shrimp for two minutes on each side, until pink throughout. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the dressing between six 24-ounce Mason jars or bowls. Divide and layer the remaining salad ingredients in the four jars or bowls in the order they are listed, with the lettuce and shrimp at the top. Leave 1 inch of space at the top of the jar.
- Garnish each with about 1 tablespoon chopped spicy almonds, cover and refrigerate until ready to enjoy. When ready to enjoy, shake the jar vigorously to mix the ingredients and dressing.
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com