Whole30 Beef Stroganoff
- 1/2 lbs frying beef such as flank, vacio, sirloin, tenderloin, top sirloin – cut into thin strips
- 1 medium-sized shallot – thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – thinly sliced
- 227 gr cremini mushrooms – thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill plus extra for garnish – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard or Dijon
- 1 400ml can full-fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
The day before cooking, place an unshaken and sealed can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge. The following day, open the can and spoon off the solidified cream. Add cream to a bowl along with the juice of one lemon. Whisk until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and adjust lemon juice as required. Cover bowl with wrap and return coconut to fridge until ready to serve.
Preheat a 12” stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add avocado oil and let heat 30 seconds. Add steak and cook undisturbed 2-3 minutes. Flip steak slices and cook an additional 1 minute. Transfer browned steak to a bowl and set aside.
Return pan to stovetop and lower heat to medium. Add ghee and mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Sauté mushrooms 4-5 minutes and scrape any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Once mushrooms have browned and their moisture has evaporated, add shallots and garlic. Sauté an additional 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock to deglaze pan. Cook an additional 30 seconds or until stock has reduced by ¼.
Add 1 cup coconut ‘sour cream’, mustard and a pinch of black pepper, stir to combine. Gently simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper as required.
Return beef to pan and toss to coat. Remove from heat, add dill and toss everything to combine.
Serve overtop of mashed potatoes and garnish with more fresh dill.